LONDON – Sir Elton John has blamed a “rude and disruptive” fan for him storming off stage during a concert in Las Vegas last Thursday.
The 70-year-old singer invited some lucky audience members up onto the stage with him as he performed his classic hit Saturday Night’s Alright For Fighting, but cut short the spot and left the stage after one man allegedly “completely disrupted” his performance by putting his hands on the piano and trying to take pictures of the entertainer up close.
John said in a statement: “Thursday night in Las Vegas a fan put his hands on the piano keys while I was playing and continued to do so even after I asked him to stop.
“He then proceeded to reach over the piano and try to take pictures, completely disrupting the performance.
“I bring fans onstage every evening when we play Saturday Night… in the set, it is always a lovely part of the show where I get to meet them, shake their hands and have them right there with me while I play. They have always been very courteous to the fact we are in the middle of playing a song live.
“This guy was rude, disruptive and had no care or respect for our show and so I let him know how I felt, then left the stage until they had removed him.”
The Crocodile Rock singer spoke out about what had happened after it was claimed he had sworn at fans and stormed off the stage because he was so annoyed by the incident.
A source previously said: “During Saturday Night they brought a ton of people on stage, and one guy wouldn’t stop touching him.
“He went off mic and clearly mouthed ‘f–k off’ twice and then pushed his hand.“He left, and they cut the song short and ushered everyone off stage and escorted the guy out of the building.”
Although John later calmed down and returned to the stage, he insisted the incident had made him rethink his concerts.
He said: “No more coming on stage during Saturday Night… You f—ed it up.”
The legendary musician then launched into Circle of Life, from The Lion King.
Elton – who has sons Zachary, seven, and Elijah, five with his husband David Furnish – recently announced that he plans to quit touring in 2021 and spend more time at home with his family.
He explained his plans to embark on a three-year Farewell Yellow Brick Road world tour to mark his retirement, which will see him play over 300 shows across the globe, concluding in 2021.