G. H. HARDING
QUINN UP —Colin Quinn is thanking his friends and fans for wishing him well as he continues to recover after suffering a heart attack last week. With his trademark sense of humor, the Saturday Night Live alum, 58, broke the news last week with a series of social media posts.
“My heart broke on Valentine’s Day. Literally,” he tweeted. “I am currently doing well although if I dropped dead you would see a funeral like al Capone!”
“I guess this heart attack has really made me reflect,” he added. “You know, we aren’t guaranteed tomorrow, or u really think about.
A rep for Quinn said the actor is “doing great.” On Monday, he continued to crack jokes about his health emergency as he thanked everyone for all the messages that had been sent his way.
“Thanks for all the kind words and support,” he tweeted. “Starting a list of those who didn’t check in yet. Guarantee they’ll regret the day they didn’t wish me well on the road to recovery.”
“A heart attack is a serious thing. When it happens to a celeb let’s double the importance,” he joked. “I understand some people wish me dead, it’s human. I feel that way about plenty of people myself. But there’s ways of doing things. ‘Keep up appearances’ as they say.”
The comedian, who starred in Trainwreck alongside Amy Schumer, also thanked the staff of Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City for saving “a great man’s life.”
“They realized they had a precious jewel of comedy in their hands,” he quipped.
Following the health scare, Quinn announced he would be rescheduling a series of planned concerts in Florida.
“My heart goes out to all the people who bought tickets to my show. Literally. My heart went out,” he said in a statement, according to the Tampa Bay Times. “I know you people are still mad that I postponed the show even though I had a heart attack. I felt the same way when I bought Lou Reed tickets last year. I will reschedule once you tell me which weekends are best for you.”
I used to live across the street from Colin and I saw him virtually every other day. Great guy; though oddly soft-spoken when off the stage. I wish him only the best.
2 MONKEES ON — The Monkees’ Michael Nesmith and Micky Dolenz are hitting the road in June for their first-ever tour as a duo. They’re calling the tour The Monkees Present: The Mike and Micky Show (as opposed to simply The Monkees) because their fellow surviving bandmate Peter Tork is not participating. Though the set centers around the classic group’s vast catalog, Nesmith and Dolenz plan to roll out deep cuts and rarities. “It will be very different than a Monkees show,” Nesmith said in January. “I mean, it’ll be Monkees music, but there’s no pretense there about Micky and I being the Monkees. We’re not. We’re the remnants.”
The Monkees reformed in 1986 shortly after MTV put their old television show into heavy rotation, earning them an entirely new generation of fans. With the sole exception of a brief fun of U.K. show in 1996, Michael Nesmith didn’t participate in any of the reunion tours. Shortly after the death of Davy Jones, however, he stunned fans by returning to the group for three consecutive summer tours. He participated in their 50th anniversary LP Good Times! in 2016, but he stepped away from their touring outfit, leaving Micky Dolenz and Peter Tork to continue as a duo.
On September 16th, 2016 Nesmith – who recently resurrected his early 1970’s country rock band the First National Band in early 2018 – played a show with the group at the Pantages Theater in Los Angeles that was billed as a farewell to Monkee Mike. He doesn’t view this tour as a reversal of that decision. “This isn’t Monkee Michael and Monkee Micky going out,” he told Rolling Stone. “[But] we’re using the Monkees logo and name to promote it.”
Peter Tork explained in a press release that he was skipping the tour to focus on his upcoming Lead Belly tribute album, Relax Your Mind. “I have in general made no secret of the fact that all these recent years of Monkees-related projects, as fun as they’ve been, have taken up a lot of my time and energy,” he said. “Moving forward, I have blues projects that I want to give my attention to, hence Relax Your Mind. So, I’m shifting gears for now, but I wish the boys well, and I’ve learned to never say never on things further down the line.”
Nesmth also hinted that there might be slightly more to Tork’s decision than the need to focus the Lead Belly album. “I’m afraid I would betray a confidence if I said any more than, ‘This is not a right time for him,'” he told Rolling Stone. “He has his reasons. They are very private.”
Even without Tork, the tour will be a great chance for Monkees fans to see Dolenz and Nesmith explore parts of the catalog that past tours have neglected. “These 16 special performances will feature songs that span the group’s entire career – from its 1966 eponymous debut to 2016’s Good Times,” reads the press release. “The shows will highlight many of Nesmith’s compositions, including some that have never been performed live.”
“I love being onstage with Micky,” Nesmith says in a statement. “We’ve been collaborating for over 50 years, so it’s hard to believe it’s never been just the two of us. I’m excited to dust off some tunes that I haven’t played for a long time too.”
Dolenz concurs. “Right from the get-go, I admired Mike’s songs,” he said in a statement. “When we used to get together around the campfire to sing in the early days, we were always doing his songs. We always had such a great a vocal blend; he was the one who encouraged me to write songs of my own. I’ve always been a big fan and now we finally get to do the Mike & Micky show that we riffed on back when we were shooting The Monkees.”
Micky Dolenz, Mike Nesmith Tour Dates
June 1 – Chandler, AZ @ Chandler Center For The Arts
June 2 – Los Angeles, CA @ The Orpheum
June 3 – San Diego, CA @ Humphrey’s
June 5 – Anaheim, CA @ The Grove
June 6 – Saratoga, CA @ The Mountain Winery
June 8 – Stockton, CA @ Bob Hope Theatre
June 9 – Stateline, NV @ Harrah’s Lake Tahoe
June 12 – Denver, CO @ Paramount
June 14 – Chicago, IL @ Copernicus Center
June 15 – Huber Heights, OH @ Rose Music Center
June 16 – Cleveland, OH @ Cain Park
June 18 – Toronto, ON @ Sony Center
June 19 – Kitchener, ON @ Centre In the Square
June 21 – Philadelphia, PA @ Keswick Theatre
June 22 – New York, NY @ Beacon Theatre
June 25 – Red Bank, NJ @ Count Basie Theatre
SHORT TAKES — The Zombies have just signed Soren Koch to be their new bass player, replacing long-time member Jim Rodford, who passed away last month … Chicago’s Robert Lamm is pleased with the latest additions to the group. Lamm says “Chicago sounds better than ever!” Heading into the final three shows of their residency at the Venetian in Las Vegas, he’s got warm words for the band’s new and newly promoted members. He praises vocalist Neil Donnell — who sings the 80’s power ballads originally voiced by Peter Cetera and Bill Champlin — as “Very knowledgeable about our repertoire. [He] came in ready to sing backgrounds or anything where the tenor is the lead voice. He’s had a long career in Canada. You can see him performing Chicago tunes on YouTube with various tribute bands. He not only sings the great ballads from the 80’s, you know, ‘Hard Habit to Break’ or ‘You’re the Inspiration’’. Walfredo “Wally” Reyes Junior, whose resume includes stints with
Carlos Santana, Smokey Robinson and Steve Winwood, was recently promoted from percussionist to drummer. “Reyes had been our percussionist for the past decade or so, but it turns out he’s the most inspiring lively and joyful drummer… I’ve ever played with. And, we have Brett Simons on bass. A young player, who’s been around, has lots of experience. And he walked into rehearsals about a month ago and he just blew me away with how he was reproducing great bass recorded performances from Chicago II. Can’t wait to see this latest edition of the band this summer in NYC … Also, was talking about The Monkees with a colleague and she said that Nesmith’s book, Infinite Tuesday – given a big launch, died a horrible death. I didn’t read it, but would love to … That incident in Las Vegas with Elton John having some mardi gras beads thrown at him: clearly that was not the intent, but I’m sure when it happened, his first thought was …. no more of this … in three years! Sorry to see it happen, but glad there was no major damage.
NAMES IN THE NEWS — Jodi Ritzen; Jane Blunkell; Jim Yukich; Tyrone Biljan; Jacqueline Boyd; Anthony Noto; Mark Bego; Joel Diamond; Jim Burgess; Frankie Crocker; Rebecca Holden; Tom & Lisa Cuddy; Elton John; Billy Smith; Tony King; Don Wardell; and, Happy Bday to CFS.