Mason Down But Not Out —Legendary singer/songwriter Dave Mason had to cut short his show last Friday night after passing out.
Having canceled shows earlier in the week because of the flu, Mason got through three songs at the Mayo Performing Arts Center in the New York City suburb of Morristown, New Jersey when he asked for a stool, saying he wasn’t feeling well. He attempted to play the next song but then passed out. His band mates rushed over to him as did medical professionals in the audience. A defibrillator was also brought out, but not needed. The 69-year old Mason came to and was able to walk to an ambulance with some assistance. He was taken to the Morristown Medical Center.
According to a post on Mason’s Facebook page, “Dave is in good spirits and still in recovery from the flu… The hospital took great care of him and released him [Friday] night since all the tests were clear. He was extremely dehydrated and weak from the flu. He will be resting through the weekend. We really appreciate all the fan love and notes you’ve sent and we are reading them to Dave.”
No word if the show will be rescheduled. The next show on Mason’s itinerary is tonight in New Orleans.
Mason, who was in Traffic with Steve Winwood, Jim Capaldi and Chris Wood back in the day, has made an indelible mark in rock music; performing with everyone from George Harrison to Eric Clapton and Paul McCartney. A self-described old pirate; Dave enjoyed his biggest success, in 1977, with the track “We Just Disagree” written by Jim Kreuger.
It seems like I’ve been listening to Mason all my life; he’s a complicated soul, but when he sings and plays … there’s nothing like it. His version of Jimi Hendrix’s “All Along The Watchtower” has got to be one of the best covers ever. My other Mason nuggets include “The Lonely One,” “Walk To The Point” and the classic “You Shouldn’t Have Taken More Than You Gave.” A classic for sure. All the best Dave!
Here’s a clip:
DAWN OF JUSTICE —Latest word on advance ticket sales for Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice per various sources is that they’re out stepping Deadpool (opening weekend $132.4M), The Avengers ($207.4M) and Furious 7 ($147.1M) two weeks prior to their stateside releases. One non-Batman v Superman analyst has the figure between $20M-$25M, which isn’t that far from where The Dark Knight Rises’ advance ticket sales were before it debuted to $160.9M. Anything above a $152M three-day would make Zack Snyder’s Dark Knight/Son of Jor-El fusion the biggest pre-summer opening.
Besting Furious 7, would make BvS, the biggest Easter and April debut of all time. Last we checked Movio, which monitors movie ticket buyer trends, analyzed the profile of moviegoers who bought advanced tickets for BvS as of March 10 and compared this audience to the advanced ticket buyers for Jurassic World.
“As expected, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice is anticipated by the fan male audience,” said Movio-exec Will Palmer. “The audience profile is 78% male, massively over indexing between age 14-49. This is your avid opening weekend audience with some 70% attending films during opening week, spending 3.2 times more than the typical US moviegoer.”
GELDER PASSES —Lawrence Van Gelder, who worked in the newsrooms of five New York City newspapers over 55 years, most of them as a critic, columnist and editor at The New York Times, died last weekend at his home in Manhattan. He was 83.
His daughter Miranda Van Gelder said the cause was leiomyosarcoma, a rare cancer.
Mr. Van Gelder was only 15 when he first sought a job in journalism: as a copy boy at The Times. The Times told him he was too young.
He went on to graduate from Columbia College and later from Columbia Law School but held on to his early ambition, choosing newspapers over the law at a time when the city supported more than half a dozen.
He joined the tabloid paper The Daily Mirror as a reporter in 1955 and worked there until it went out of business in 1963. Then, as a rewrite man, he moved to The New York World-Telegram and Sun and then worked for its short-lived successor, The World Journal Tribune,the product of its merger with two other papers, which ceased publication in 1967.
After a brief stint at The Daily News, he finally made it to The Times when it hired him at 34. He would accumulate more than 5,200 bylines as a reporter, film critic and obituary writer and would also work as an editor on the culture and metropolitan desks. He retired in 2010.
In the grand tradition of such renowned critics as Al Arnonowitz, Robert Christgau, Lester Bangs and John Rockwell, Gelder was a gentleman of the highest order.
Again, it’s been quite a year.
FORD LIVES —Disney has just announced that Harrison Ford will be reprising his iconic role as Indiana Jones in the fifth installment in the series with Steven Spielberg returning to the director’s chair. The pic will hit screens on July 19, 2019.
Spielberg directed the previous four pics, and this one has yet to be titled. Rumors began back in February 2015 that Spielberg was mounting this production. At the time, he expressed that he was interested in Chris Pratt joining. That casting is still ongoing, per one insider.
Ford is currently in famed franchise reboot mode with three of moviedom’s most iconic characters. He returned as Han Solo in Star Wars: The Force Awakens and also has the Blade Runner sequel which has a January 2018 release date.
George Lucas is not involved. Typically in the past, prior to the Disney purchase of Lucasfilm, these Indiana Jones titles wouldn’t move forward in production unless Lucas and Spielberg saw eye to eye on the script and all elements. That’s one of the reasons why there’s always been a gap between sequels.
Famed archaeologist and explorer Indiana Jones was introduced in 1981’s Raiders of the Lost Ark ($284.2M domestic, $390M global) – one of AFI’s 100 Greatest American Films of All Time – and spawned sequels Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom ($179.9M, $333M global), 1989’s Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade($197.2M domestic, $474.2M global), and 2008’s Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull. Together, the four titles grossed nearly $2 billion at the global box office.
We love Ford — more is always good!
SHORT TAKES —Rare vintage photos from the private collection of Sir Elton John are set to go on show in a special exhibition at Tate Modern in London: The Radical Eye:Modernist Photography from the Sir Elton John Collection will feature an “unrivalled” selection of images from the 1920’s to the 1950’s. It will include more than 150 shots and include pieces from renowned artists such as Man Ray and Bernice Abbott. Sir Elton began collecting 25 years ago and now has more than 7,000 pictures. The pictures will be transported from the singer’s homes around the world to London for the show this November. He said it was “a great honor” to lend part of his collection “for this groundbreaking exhibition”.
“The Modernist era in photography is one of the key moments within the medium and collecting work from this period has brought me great joy over the last 25 years,” added Sir Elton. “Each of these photographs serves as inspiration for me in my life; they line the walls of my homes and I consider them precious gems… I hope the exhibition audience experiences as much joy in seeing the works as I have had in finding them” … The legend, August Darnell returns to NYC next week for rehearsals for his upcoming show, Cherchez La Femme, at NYC’s La Mama. Stay tuned for more details including an exclusive sit-down with The Kid.
Till next time…Please leave your comments below.